Tuesday, March 20, 2012

9/30: Influenced

List 10 people who've influenced you and describe how they have done so.

 1. Clint. He's my best friend in the entire world. He is the most supportive and caring man I've ever met. He's taught me to just try things. If you never try, you never know what the outcome will be. Failure isn't the worst thing that can happen to me.

2. My parents. Kind of a no-brainer. God's used them to majorly shape me into the person I am today. They're giving and kind and selfless and fun and all around great people. I can see both of them in me today.

3. My In-Laws. Mike and Shelly's story would bring you to tears. Seriously. They're incredible people and God's used their story to teach me that He can heal people in bigger and better ways than I could even imagine. They got a divorce when we were in college and 4 years later, less than a week after we got back from our honeymoon, they got remarried. It's a beautiful picture of God's grace!

4. Miriam. Miriam has taught me so much about friendship. We're real, honest, and simple. She's the first friend I've ever had who has come to me when I've done something to upset her and talked through it instead of talking to everyone else. I'm incredibly thankful to have such a great example of friendship.

5. John and Debbie. John and Debbie led a Bible study for high schoolers that Clint and I were a part of for years. They taught me how to study my Bible and really search for answers. When I'd ask them what to do in a situation, John's first response was always, "Well, what does the Bible say about it?" and he wouldn't take "I don't know" as an answer.

6. Angie. Angie and her husband, Mike, used to open up their house to 10 or more 20-somethings every Monday night. Every. Monday. Night. Those are a lot of mouths to feed. She's got the sweetest heart and is the queen of hospitality and has taught me a lot about serving and the heart behind it.

7. Staff of The Gallery Church in NYC. In my summer up there, they taught me to love the people of the city, and not just the city itself. Yes, the city is incredible, but it is full of lost people in darkness. The cool thing is that the surrounding darkness makes the pinpricks of light that much brighter.

8. Anna. Anna's taught me to love hard and to love well. Love through the mess and struggles. It's easy to love put together people. It's the broken ones that need your love.

9. Gretchen. Gretchen is one of those "Why not?" people in life. Want to clean out the room that's been destroyed by your dogs and is in complete disarray? Why not? Want to run a 5k? Why not? Want to start a craft business? Why not. I need more of those people in my life. :)

10. Terry. I don't think I could ask for a better boss. He's understanding and supportive of what Clint and I feel called to do in life. He and his incredible wife, Melinda, care more about us as people than me as an employee. He's quick to take the blame from and pass on the glory to his staff. He's a great example of a leader and I'm thankful to know him and Melinda!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...