Tuesday, June 21, 2011

#gethype

Tomorrow I leave for Long Hollow's high school camp! The phrase #gethype has taken over my twitterfeed. It's somehow been dubbed the "camp theme." I don't know... I just go with it. People are way excited.

This will be my 8th year going to this camp. I know what I'm getting myself into. It's a really intense time physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I've got to crawl and climb through a mud pit in a field that used to be a horse pasture (you've got to know what that means) that's 60 feet long and 5 feet deep and filled with all sorts of bacteria. I've got to jump off a 40 ft. high swing and ride on a 1000 ft. long zipline, being held up by some straps of fabric. I'm going to spend a crazy amount of time at the "waterpark," watching my fair skin fry before my very eyes. I've got to eat camp food. 'Nuf said about that. I've got to make up a skit, get in front of 750 other people, and act like a fool. I'll be going to sleep in the morning (you read that right) and waking up only a few hours later. I'll be hearing stuff from girls that I would never dream people really have to deal with and they expect my help.

All that is hard stuff, but you know what?

It's worth. every. single. minute.

The mudpit is ok because you automatically bond with people when you're crawling through poopy mud together. The high ropes are ok because they're fun (once you do it) and you get to help each other overcome the fear. The "waterpark" is ok because it give you hours to sit around and build real relationships with the girls. The camp food is ok because you're eating it while you talk with girls and get to know them better. The cheer is ok because you do it together and all look crazy. Little sleep is ok because you stay up having good one-on-one time with the girls and God always sustains when you don't think you can make it. And hearing hard stuff is ok because God is good and will always give you wisdom if you just ask for it.

I'm sitting here, writing this, with tears in my eyes thinking of the eternal impact God is allowing me to have.

If you think about it, please be praying for all 750 of us over the next 5 days. I can't wait to get back and tell everyone all the amazing things the Lord did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...