Wednesday, November 19, 2014

vbac thoughts

This baby was such a surprise that I think I'm still kind of in shock about it. I'm 3.5 weeks away from being halfway through (theoretically, of course) and I'm just now getting my head wrapped around the fact that this baby has to come out. And I am honestly oh-so-ready for that to happen based on how I've been feeling lately! 

Reuben's birth was nothing like I'd had planned. I had a whole birth plan that was full of naturally minded birth things and not many, if any, interventions. I ended up with a non-emergent but really, really needed to happen very quickly c-section and a 5 day hospital stay thanks to HELLP syndrome.


Almost two years later, I stand by the fact that I fully needed that to happen to save our lives and I'm so thankful for modern medicine.

BUT.

I do NOT want another csection. I felt miserable afterwards, couldn't get out of bed on my own for weeks or lay on anything but my back for months, and had a really hard time getting breastfeeding going. Not to mention we'd like the option to have four children and doctors frown upon having a 4th csection. I don't want a voluntary procedure to determine the number of children I can have. I've found a group of midwives here who I've heard wonderful things about and fully support an attempt at a VBAC and I'm so thankful for that and excited about that option. My OB in Nashville said that I have an 85-90% chance of being successful, which is super encouraging.

All that said, I'm absolutely terrified too! This time my plan is to have absolutely zero interventions because I know every intervention I have raises my chance to have another csection. That plan is fine and dandy and I totally get it mentally, but physically I'm terrified of the pain! I never felt a single contraction with Reuben and I have ZERO idea what to expect! 

As the time draws closer, I'll be researching more and more and plan on sharing what I'm finding and any sort of prep I'm doing. I look forward to sharing with you guys!

Disclaimer: I in no way, shape, or form look down on women who choose to have repeat csections! As a mama it is YOUR choice to do what is best for YOU and I would never shame that. These are just my personal opinions on VBACs. :)

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I feel you on this. I had a c section with my first because he was stuck after laboring forever and I really wanted to VBAC with my second. My first one they induced me because of blood pressure issues and so I decided that I wanted nothing to do with an induction or any other intervention the second time around. I switched to the care of some really great midwives and they took such good care of me and I loved it. But I never went into labor with my second. We waited and waited (I was allowed to go to 41 weeks) and nothing was happening (baby was high, no dilation, tight) so we scheduled a c section. I hated it, but I knew that I didn't want to try a cold start induction since things had not gone well the first time around. I actually struggled with going through it, but I knew it was the right decision for my situation. It sounds like you are well prepared and have placed yourself in the wonderful care of the midwives so it is likely that you'll be able to VBAC. Try not to be too nervous about what will happen and just focus on the beautiful, healthy baby at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Labor and birth are just SO interesting to me. I wonder why it works for some and not others?! It doesn't make sense, but there must be a reason. And you're right. You made the decision you had to make and have a wonderful kiddo from it!!

      Delete
  2. i went natural the whole way and WOWEEE was it painful! i think women should give birth whichever way, however they choose. honestly if i had to do it over again, i am not sure i'd go natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Catherine! I may be singing a completely different tune once I start feeling contractions, but I'm so scared of complications that can come with epidurals that I'd rather just deal with the pain. haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...