Tuesday, April 22, 2014

the body of Christ

It's been two years since our miscarriage today.

It's such a strange feeling. Part of me feels like it was a lifetime ago. But there's another part of me that can still feel the pain and loss like it happened yesterday.

I try to not let that part win.

I'm so incredibly thankful for Reuben and his life. I know that he wouldn't be here if we hadn't lost that baby, but I can't help but wonder who that baby would've grown up to be.

Would it be another rambunctious, mischievous, little boy? Or would I be having tea parties with my little tutu-wearing girl?

I saw my facebook post from that day on TimeHop...


I still feel this way two years later.

God had us positioned perfectly for Him to show his love for us through his Body. We had meals brought to us by our small group, prayers for and with us, and plenty of people to just BE with us. Nobody tried to fix anything or offer any encouraging words. They were just in it with us. And that's exactly what we needed.

I've said it before, but God used that baby's short life to change ours entirely. We came to fully understand the purpose of the Body of Christ. That we're to be the hands and feet of Jesus. Yes, we felt peace from knowing the baby was in heaven and that God had a plan, but that peace was amplified through our friends and family's love and support.

Since our loss, I've had several of my friends go through hard times where they need someone to be in it with them. They don't need to be told they'll get over it one day. They don't need to be told life goes on. They don't need to be told it could be worse. They need me to roll up my sleeves and get in there with them. To cry with them. To listen to them. To tell them, "You know what? This sucks. I'm so, so sorry."

Food never hurts, too. ;-)

But seriously. People need you WITH them. That's part of our job as a member of the Body. To let struggling people know God is WITH them. He hasn't left them to fend on their own. He's there for them even more than we ever could be. Sometimes it just takes a little reminding.

I wouldn't know that the way I do if it wasn't for that sweet, sweet little baby. I praise and thank God for it's life and legacy.

5 comments:

  1. You know, I feel incredibly awkward and inadequate when trying to comfort people sometimes, but I like your thought that sometimes just being there for them is really what they need. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think comforting words and things like that are awesome when someone is overwhelmed with day to day stuff or is just frustrated with life, but when something world-rocking happens, words just don't cut it!

      Delete
  2. i know that God has blessed my life in many ways, but i was not feeling that way at all after my miscarriages. it actually took me a while to repair my relationship with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I totally don't blame you. Everyone has their own emotions to work through and I think God absolutely understands that and is patient with us.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I also had a miscarriage...it is tough. But, your thoughts were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...